Health In Action
The 'Health in Action' Project Philoshophy and Goals
The Health in Action Project is a partnership project between Wolf Creek Public Schools and Alberta Health Service's Comprehensive School Health Program. Through a comprehensive approach to promote health and well-being in the development of successful learners, this initiative supports the following aims:
- tapping into the the knowledge, skills, resources, and energy of the entire school community,
- facilitating activities, messages and initiatives that promote healthy eating, active living and positive social environments,
- enabling all schools in WCPS to have access to the support and resources necessary to build leadership teams (students, staff, parents, and community members) to champion health and wellness in their school communities, and
- reinforcing healthy messages and ideas in the core subject areas.
Comprehensive School Health is a multi-faceted, integrated approach that involves students, school staff, parents, health professionals, agencies and community working together to promote health and well being in the development of successful learners. The goal of CSH is to help the school community to develop a clear vision and a logical strategy to address health priorities in their school. CSH is based on two key ideas:
- healthy children are better able to learn, and
- schools can directly influence children’s health.
The Wellness Wiki! is a one-stop shop for all teaching staff to find anything related to health and wellness. The front page is updated monthly with new information.
Articles from The Learning Team (Volume 18, April 2015)
- Resiliency Researcher Shares Insights
- 10 Tips for Raising Resilient Kids
- Molding the Role Model
- The Pathway to Resilience
- Resources on Resilience
Mental Health Commission of Canada
The Pillars of the Project
The Health in Action Project aims to improve the health and wellness of all school communities in Wolf Creek by addressing, supporting and promoting the importance of the following three pillars: Healthy Eating, Active Living and Positive Social Environments. The following links contain useful ideas and information about programs and resources available to support schools in the promotion of healthy eating, active living and positive social environments.
Pillar 1: Healthy Eating
Pillar 2: Active Living
Pillar 3: Positive Social Environments
HIA Curriculum Resources
One of the key objectives of the Health in Action Project is to infuse healthy living messages into the core curriculum subjects at all grade levels from ECS through Grade 12. A collection of resources, lesson plans and activities for the subject areas of Mathematics, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies that incorporate a focus on healthy eating, active living and/or positive social environments are available for teachers to use. These curriculum resources are categorized by divison level, and are cross-referenced by subject area(s) and corresponding pillar(s). To view the curriculum resources available, click on the links below.
The HEALTH RESOURCE LIST FOR TEACHERS document contains resources and lesson plans to support the following topics in the Health and PE curriculums: Body Image, Bullying, Active Living, Healthy Eating, Sexual Health, Mental Health, Suicide, Tobacco, Substance Use, and many more.