General Information About Our Program
History of French Immersion in Wolf Creek:
The Wolf Creek French Immersion program began in the County of Lacombe in 1985. A group of interested parents approached the School Board. Each year a grade was added until the program extended to include grades K to 12 by 1997. The program is now open to all Wolf Creek students in the counties of Lacombe and Ponoka. At present there are approximately 350 immersion students enrolled in the four immersion schools in Wolf Creek Public Schools.
Who should register in French Immersion?
Any student entering Kindergarten or grade one. Students transferring from other French Immersion programs may also continue immersion studies in WCPS.
What is French Immersion?
French immersion is a highly successful approach to second language learning — an effective way for students to become functionally fluent in French while achieving all of the objectives laid out by Alberta Learning. French is the language of instruction for a significant part of the school day; that is, several or all subjects, except English language arts, are taught in French. This program is designed for students whose first language is not French. The objective is full mastery of the English language, functional fluency in French, as well as an understanding and appreciation of the French culture.
Why choose French Immersion in Alberta?
Research has demonstrated that students in French Immersion programs experience the following benefits:
- Further develop their listening skills, focus and concentration;
- Learn organization, self-discipline and resourcefulness;
- Increase cognitive abilities to understand complex and abstract concepts;
- Enhance their ability to communicate in their first language;
- Acquire a third or fourth language much more easily;
- Strengthen their problem-solving skills;
- Gain an appreciation, insight and understanding of other cultures.
- FI Custom Search Engine Link
- Canadian Parents for French (CPF) Membership Forms
- WolfCreek and CPF Sponsored Activities
List of French Immersion Schools in our district